Volunteers play a vital role in our restoration work. They represent us at community events throughout Pennsylvania and New Jersey, giving presentations and sharing the story of the American chestnut with interested groups. They get their hands dirty by helping with orchard projects during the growing season, and sometimes they even suffer paper cuts for the cause — helping us to get our newsletter out on time. There is much work to do and no experience is necessary. Whatever your talent, interest or ability we can use your support as we work to bring back this mighty giant to the Eastern woodland.
Email us at email@example.com or call us at (814)863-7192 to learn more.
WHAT OPPORTUNITY IS RIGHT FOR YOU?
- Orchard help– With over 150 orchards in PA, the growing season is packed with chances to participate in planting, inoculating and harvesting at our orchards. Work is available for all levels of physical ability. This is a great opportunity for people who enjoy working outside and getting involved with the hands-on aspects of our breeding programs.
- Event outreach– Each year, we attend events all over the state. Members volunteer their time to represent our organization at fairs, expos, festivals, plant sales, etc. Larger events, like the PA Farm Show and Penn State’s Ag Progress Days, are usually staffed by 2 or more volunteers at a time. These events offer great an opportunity for learning the ropes from veteran volunteers.
- Volunteer from home! – We can use help proofreading and editing our newsletters and other outreach materials. We publish two print newsletters each year and monthly e-Newsletters. If you have experience with writing and editing we would welcome your help with one or both of these publications.
- Speaking events– We receive requests to speak at meetings and events throughout the year. Experienced volunteers fill these requests with PowerPoint presentations developed by our staff. If public speaking is your strength, this might be a good fit for you. This is a great opportunity for people that enjoy speaking in front of groups and sharing their knowledge and experiences with the American chestnut. To schedule, a presentation for your group, follow this link.
- Administrative/ Office assistance– From time to time we can use help in our office on the University Park campus of The Pennsylvania State University. We have two large newsletter mailings a year and other projects that could use an extra hand. If you are nearby and interested in helping, let us know and we can put you to work!
How to get started:
It’s easy! Email our Chapter Administrator at firstname.lastname@example.org or call our office at (814)863-7192 to learn more.